Monday, July 20, 2009

Part I: Getting There - Lost in the Rocks and Trees

So was this the toughest race in Ontario?

Sorry for the long post folks, but you’ll have to read on to find out…

To learn more about this race or see more photos, go here. North Bay Camera Club reserves all rights to the photos. Please visit their site to purchase pictures and make a charity donation.

Part I: Getting There
Part II: Commitment
Part III: The Race
Part IV: The Finish

Rain
After spending all day on the plane and traveling 4 hrs north of Toronto the next day, Ron and I finally arrived at our campsite in Sameul de Champlain Provincial Park just outside of Mattawa. Our other friend Erik (the Frenchman) had arrived earlier to set up our tent and prepare the site. It had been raining for two days straight and it was raining when we got there as well.

I have to admit that I was a little concerned from the beginning when the Frenchman suggested we should camp out, but I didn’t want to come across as being a little soft, especially now that I live way down south.

Pre-ride
Just to get a sneak peak what the race was going to be like, I got dressed and went for a quick ride on my bike. The campground was absolutely beautiful. Mixed deciduous trees were nestled between the sites and a huge river ran right through the center. There was also a nice lake right in front of our campsite.

Man it was nice to be back home.

I managed to find a few single tracks, and when I came back I was full of mud and drenched from head to toe. By now, it was starting to cool off and it was getting pretty wet and miserable.

None of us had a good feeling about racing tomorrow.

Mattawa
That night we made our way to Mattawa for some grub. We drove around town to find out where the start was and then ended up at this little café downtown, grabbed a beer, and had some food.

The folks were super nice in this little town the food was great. We probably over-indulged in beer a little because we were all having second thoughts about doing the race. Actually, I think we were only half-committed at this point.

When we got back to the campsite, we tried to make a fire in the rain, and just sat around thinking about what the race was going to be like tomorrow.

We were all having out serious doubts now.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the great summary of your day Al. Was great to have you here for the race.
    Nick (aka - Race Promoter)

    ReplyDelete
  2. glad you survived and took care of my ron you guys rock! Mel

    ReplyDelete